181 Lincoln Street – First Floor
Lunenburg NS B0J 2C0
A Registered Historic property previously known as Knickles Studio
Character-defining elements of Lewis A. Hirtle Photography Shop relate to its role as a commercial building in Old Town Lunenburg and include:
- This space consists of approximately 425 sq ft. It has hardwood floors and high ceilings with school house lights.
- New electric with private washroom.
- The location of the building is in the center of Old Town Lunenburg’s business district; it was built immediately at the streetline alongside other shops, several of which had unique shopfront designs ( click here to see examples).
- The first storey commercial façade, with large display windows that are nearly the full height of the first storey, central recessed door and low rise steps allowing easy access into the main store, and small side shop area to the west
- Other elements adding both detail and a pleasing simplicity to the front façade, including the low pitched gable roof, the three second storey pedimented windows, clapboard cladding, ornamental panels over the shop windows and dentilled cornice
- The three symmetrical and inviting entranceways to 181, 183 and 185 Lincoln Street, each with the civic number inscribed in the front step riser, panelled doors with large windows and tall transom windows
- Interior elements related to the long term use as a photography shop, including the first floor shop counter, pressed tin ceiling, and second storey layout with a darkroom and large north light window.
More info: lunenburg@ElevenElevenCos.com
Johnny Knickles Studio/Lewis A. Hirtle Photography Shop is a two-storey wooden building situated on Lincoln Street in the commercial area of Old Town Lunenburg, a Heritage Conservation District in Lunenburg, NS. Built in 1906, the building has wide shop windows immediately at the streetline on the front façade with a central entrance and entrances at either end of the storefront to an upper level and a small shop at 181 Lincoln Street, an annex to the main building. You will also find some elegant shops, apparel, perfumeries, accessories, beauty, and bookshops with good shopfronts similar to those found at https://shop-front-fitters.co.uk/. The designation covers both the building and surrounding land.